Tuesday, August 28, 2007

End of summer update

I got behind on my blog again. I still have a ton of pictures to put up, but I usually forget once I get home to my computer after work. I will try to remember to do that soon.

Life is doing pretty well right now. I recently purchased my new lover, as I like to say. A trusty companion that I will likely have for the next 10 or more years. No, it is not a dog, although that would be nice, too. I have purchased my first car...a new one, too. I bought a nice, deep black Ford Focus 4-door hatchback (picture coming soon). I know everyone and their mother has this car, but I thought about it a lot and the price and the mileage were what I was looking for. It feels and looks European to me, and I like that. It has a 6-CD player, which currently holds 2 ABBA cd's, Dolly Parton, and the very best of E.L.O. I think the other two slots will be something Danish...I need to keep the language fresh in my mind! :) Anyway, I have had the car since August 15th and we are having a great time together. We have been to two weddings in one day, golfing at Washington National in Auburn, camping in the mountains, and of course our daily drive to work. It is definitely time for her (his?) first bath and we are both looking forward to the start of football season! We will have to choose our Husky bumper sticker wisely. A DK sticker will be put up shortly!
In other news, I will be planning a trip to Poland next summer to attend the wedding of my dear friends Gosia and Hector! Congratulations to them on their recent engagement! Maybe I will have to crash the Mexican wedding, too! I am hoping to do some site seeing in the southern areas of Poland and Krakow and then definitely spend a few days in Denmark visiting friends and family, too. I know the visit will be way too short and I will become homesick for Euro life once again. I wonder how much it would cost to ship my car to Europe if I were to move back....
My good friends Kelli and Ricky were just married a little over a week ago. It was quite an experience! The day started with a traditional Sikh wedding in a temple in Kent (only 2 minutes from where my ex boyfriend Martin lived!) It was very interesting to follow their traditions of removing shoes before going in the temple and then covering your head throughout the ceremony. Kelli looked beautiful in her red and gold-bead-trimmed bridal costume and Ricky looked amazing in his white costume and turban with a sword...think: Aladdin! We were treated to delicious Indian food before and after the ceremony and blessed porridge, too.
Kelli and Ricky's "western" wedding took place at the Seattle Asian Art Museum at Volunteer Park on Capital Hill. It was a perfect setting for a wedding, and fortunately, it only sprinkled and never full-out rained during the evening. The reception took place down by the amphitheater under party tents with cozy lit tea lights and bright Gerber daisies as the center pieces. The food was delicious! Wonderful salad, salmon, chicken skewers and rustic breads! If I ever get married, I will remember them as a possible caterer!
The day after that wedding I was up early for the Husky Band Alumni Golf Classic at Washington National golf course in Auburn. It was a long drive with rain the whole way, but my little lover handled it like a charm! :) I played a best-ball round in the rain with an HMB alumni from the late 80's and his buddy from college. Together we shot a 4 over par...with the help of several $5 mulligans which benefit the HMBAA scholarship fund. We returned to the club house to the sounds of a Husky pep band and enjoyed some of the old tunes I know so well, and some of the new ones I have never heard before. There was a silent auction after our barbecue lunch, which was hosted by none other than the man under the mask of Captain Husky! :) Former Husky coach Jim Lambright was there golfing with his daughter, too! It was a great event and for a very good cause (HMBAA awarded me with a scholarship back in '98) and I look forward to next year!
A big HAPPY BIRTHDAY to my mom who turns 60 today!! I hope I look as young as she does at that age! It must be her good kids! :) I love you, Mom!
Husky football starts Friday against Syracuse in New York! Go Dawgs! The first home game is September 8th! I can't wait! No marching for me! Just HMBAA! :)
The best to you all! Pictures to follow very soon!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home