Wednesday, December 01, 2004

Is it December already?!

San Diego is so beautiful!! I just love the warm, comfortable temperatures and the cool coastal breezes. Everything was so bright and colorful, a nice change from the dark, soggy, wet winter of Seattle. Everyone should take a tropical vacation in the winter time. It does so much for the soul! However, I recommend that you don't drive, because over 3000 miles round trip is a little hard on the patience and your ass! ;)

The whole weekend in San Diego was wonderful. My cousin Andy and his bride Seana went all out to make sure that their out-of-town guests enjoyed themselves during their stay away from home during the Thanksgiving holiday, which was two days before the wedding. Seana's parents rented a house right on Mission Beach in San Diego. Imagine Baywatch, and you are there. The house was beautiful. The view was beautiful. And the Thanksgiving spread hosted at the beach house was delicious...probably because my aunt Kirsten was there to help out in the kitchen! The whole experience was amazing! I wished I had a surf board so that I could have joined the many others riding the waves on the perfectly gorgeous Pacific coast!

After we enjoyed a delicious Thanksgiving spread by the beach, we went up to the hills to my brother's girlfriend Kami's dad's house in San Marcos. The house is on top of a hill that looks right over the San Diego valley and the hills surrounding. It was an amazing view and later when the fog came in, it eerily reminded me of the movie E.T. I just expected one of those aliens to pop out of the trees...although an avacoda falling suddenly from a tree scared me enough!

Friday morning we joined Seana's family (except the girls, as they were out getting their nails done) and my family: my sister, dad, cousin Erik, Andy, and myself (we aren't that many on the Kromann side) for a game of softball not too far from where Andy and Seana lived. There were some really good players on the field! Even the little ones could swing the bat better than I could! Erik definately made a home-run or two! It was great to be out playing in the sun, wearing tank tops and short pants, squinting with the sun in my eyes! I think I got a little bit of color...although I know it won't last! After playing, my aunt Kirsten and uncle Rob brought lunch for all of us and we enjoyed sitting on the grass and eating our hot dogs and nibbling on fruit. Good times.

That evening was the Rehearsal dinner. I had never been to one before, so I was excited to be invited. The dinner was on Coranado in San Diego at Peohe's, a restaurant right across from downtown San Diego. We met out on the deck, dressed in our nice clothes, and enjoyed red wines from California and white wines from Washington. Servers came around with trays of sushi, calamari, and spring rolls. I tried not to fill up on the good startes, because I knew the dinner was likely to be quite delicious. And I was right. I had a delicous green salad with candied walnuts and mandarine oranges in a balsamic vinagrette. My main course was a sweet and spicy chicken with rice, and for dessert a macadamia nut ice cream pie. YUM! The evening, the view, the company, and the food was all incredible. Andy and Seana went all out to make the event a classy and romantic experience.

Saturday morning, we drove out to Pt. Loma around the sound from San Diego. There is a lighthouse there you can visit, an information center, view point, tidepools, and some trails to explore. Point Loma is primarily military occupied, but the tip is a national park. The view and the terrain are incredible to visit and I only wish we had more time to explore, but we had to get back for the wedding.

The wedding took place at Balboa Park in San Diego. This park is incredible and is home to several national museums, ampitheters, and botanical garden. The architecture is in a romantic mission style. The wedding was small and held outside with trees in the back ground. There were two levels and close family was seated in the lower level close to the bride and groom. The ceremony was short and simple and afterwords we had cocktails in the courtyard before we went in to enjoy the delicous meal at the reception. The details were simple, yet luxurious. There was a simple, yet elegant cake, and to accompany the cake, there was a fountain of chocolate where you could dip your strawberries, bananas, marshmellows, or sponge cake. The service was great, the music you could dance to, and the bar always open! Andy and Seana did a wonderful job on their wedding!

I am glad I came back from Denmark for the wedding. It was most important to be there for my cousin, as we are family and I wanted to be there at his special time. I took so many pictures and I will definately try to post some pictures as soon as possible. I really would love to share the beauty of the experience of being in San Diego for Thanksgiving and the wedding. Now, I have to crack down on my project! I have lots to do!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home