Wednesday, October 27, 2004

Two weeks left...

It always seems that right when things are going so well, and things are really happening and I have such a wonderful circle of friends, that it is soon time to go back home to Seattle (although I will be back here on the 5th of January). My feelings would have been totally different if you had asked me how excited I was to go home 3 months ago! Damn! I was so ready to get away from Denmark! I even told my mom that I didn't think I wanted to live in Denmark anymore, and she sure got excited. Well, now...I really feel at home and I want to stay in Denmark (sorry Mom).

What I have found out is that having something important to do and having someone to have tea and coffee with every couple days really means a lot in the routine of ones life. This summer, I had more free time than I knew what to do with. I am sure I could have used it better if I had thought things out thoroughly, but what I was really missing was the social aspect and having some friends to hang with now and then. All the friends I had made from the previous semester had returned to their home lands and those I studied with traveled abroad to begin their internships. I was very fortunate to have my little garden (which consisted of a red dahlia bush, a couple rhubarb plants, a dark pink rose that managed to live, and a decorative cabbage that got eaten by dozens of green caterpillars) and my neighbor (Sven Erik) and his two awesome dogs. Now that the new semester has started and there are things to do and people to hang out with, life is good again.

Oh yes, I do look forward to getting back to Seattle, as I don't think I have ever gone this long before without seeing someone from my family. I suppose I will have to get used to it when I move to Denmark for good, but actually, you can never get used to the fact that you can't just drive up I-5 or I-405 to visit mom and dad and get a good meal now and then. That really sucks. And you can never stop missing those people you really care about...your family...and of course my friends in Seattle. But I have a dream...I want to live in Denmark. It's something different (for me) and I like it here...for the most part. No place is perfect.

Again, it is really late, and I am like TOTALLY freezing right now and need to put my pj's on and get to bed. I really, really have to do some serious project work thinking tomorrow, so I better get some sleep.

Over and out.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

hmm... and we will miss you while you're home! come back soon!
Marieke

October 28, 2004 9:02 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home