Sunday, October 10, 2004

Sunday in Skagen

Today was such a great day! The weather was beautiful, although quite cool, but perfect for a trip up to Skagen...a beautiful town 100 km north of Aalborg on the tip of Denmark. Martin and I took his new-old Yamaha GT 1000 motorcycle. I thinks it's from 1986. It was my first, long, passanger ride on a motorcycle and it was great! It helped, too, that Martin is such a skilled rider, so I didn't have anything to worry about. It's always different riding along with someone than when riding the motorcycle yourself. Since I didn't have my own MC gear, I had to really put on the layers. I had my ski socks and long underwear and my thick jacket, and I was actually quite protected from the wind, but the chill really got to me on the way home at 140 km/hr. I will be sure to bring my MC gear from home back to DK with me.

Anyway, we drove up to Frederikshavn on the European Motorway, that if you followed it all the way south, you would end up in Italy, but we took it to the top, and then went 40 km further north up to Skagen. We stopped in Gammel Skagen (old Skagen), which is famous for it's old yellow houses and walked along the west coast along the Skaggerrak (the part of the North Sea on the west side of Denmark). The water was so blue and of course with all the rocks on the beach, it was difficult not to try to find some agates...but found none. Martin and I stopped in the dunes and enjoyed the view of the huge ships on the water with a cup of coffee from the thermos. I just love the dunes and the tall grasses. The terrain is actually quite close to that of Fanø's!

After our cup of coffee, we went back to the bike and drove further north to Skagen (newer Skagen) and drove down to the harbor. I had seen so many pictures of the red pack houses along the pier in Skagen, but I had never seen them. I didn't know where to find them, and finally today I saw them! I think they are so cute and so Danish. We met up with my friends Marieke, Gosia, Karin and Igi (from Finland) who had driven up in Marieke's car. They had just been to the tip of the country, called Grenen. There you can put your feet in two seas: the Skaggerrak on the west and the Kattegat on the east. I have done that twice in cold months and was definately not going to do that again today! So later, we met at the harbor and got some lunch together. You can order some very traditional Danish fish dishes like fiskefillet med remoulade (fried fish with a Danish version of tartar sauce) rødspætter (a very Danish fish usually served with parsley sauce and new potatoes. I looked in the dictionary and the fish is called plaice, but maybe that is the British translation...) and traditional fish and chips. Martin and I had grilled shark with potatoes. I had never had shark before and it was quite good! I think I would eat it again!

After we ate, Marieke needed to have her coffee, so they followed us on our motorcycle back to Gammel Skagen and we found a GREAT cafe at Strandhotellet and enjoyed great drinks and cake. Gosia and I had tea, which was a special Skagens blend with a mint taste. Karin had hot chocolate, which was served in a pitcher with fresh whipped cream on the side. They sure know how to serve their drinks here! And then we enjoyed great cake, too, as the sun shone in through the windows of the hotels solarium and we warmed ourselves in the rays of the afternoon sun. I was grateful to be inside then, because I knew it would get cold on the ride home.

It was a great day up to Skagen and we all decided we would love to visit that cafe and the area again. I would even love to stay at the hotel sometime! One day...when I am making money!

Now that I am home again, I better start doing some homework! Over 'n out!

2 Comments:

Blogger Taage said...

Hey annelise!
Sounds like yer havin more fun than I am! yarr! I miss the food over there, the cakes and food over here in the US of A are substantial evidence for me to leave this country. It would be nice to see you again. I hope it doesn't get too cold over there too soon. Enjoy the views and the life over there and tell everyone that I know, HI!
Love ya!
Taagers

October 12, 2004 5:14 PM  
Anonymous women leather biker for sale said...

nice post love reading it

September 06, 2011 5:15 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home