Sunday, March 13, 2005

Early morning smells...

I was at a Latin party last night...tried to stay as long as I could through the thick smoke, yet I couldn't hold out past 1:30 a.m. It was fun, though, to dance a little bit and see familiar faces again. There are some great salsa dancers, but I really need some private lessons before I can begin to even try to dance like that. Although, as long as you move your butt a lot, the rhythm can be easy to follow.

I had taken the train to Aarhus to visit Marieke on Friday and then we drove together back to Aalborg on Saturday to go to the Latin party. So when I left the party, I just walked back to the train station and got my bike from where I had left it the previous day. Which brings me to my point of "early morning smells"... It's at about that time of early morning that the bakeries are beginning their production of pastries and bread for later that day. Oh my goodness, there were good smells flying through the air as I biked home. Mmmm...it was nice, probably the best time to enjoy it, too, because then there is no way you can be pressured into buying the high calorie pastries when the bakeries aren't even open for another 6 hours.

It was fun visiting Marieke in Aarhus. I had wanted to visit the city again for a long time and with Marieke living there now, it was a perfect excuse to visit! I took the train, as it was only 20 kroner more than the bus and I would save over an hour in travel time. Because of the bad weather the past month, it lead to many delays, so the Danish Railways were serving free coffee and tea on the train and coming around with caramals for our enjoyment, and it was quite enjoyable! Considering the price you pay for a ticket, though, I think free coffee and tea should be included in every trip.

Marieke met me at the station and then drove out to an area where parking was free and then walked into the center of Aarhus. Oh, it is such a lovely city...similar to Copenhagen in many ways. It is the 2nd largest city in Denmark and has much more to see in the center with tiny little cobble-stoned streets and trendy shops full of fancy shoes, clothes, gifts, and modern design. We checked out some small shops and then enjoyed a chai tea latte at Baresso before trying on some clothes at H&M. Most of the stores close 7 p.m., so then it was soon time to rush back to the car and out to Skejbyparken. Marieke made dinner for her roommate, Kathrine, and me. She's a good cook and her roommate is very nice! And do you know what is funny...my friend Maren from Danish camp lived in the same dormatories in Aarhus as Marieke does now! So, I had visited there just over 4 years ago!

The following day, Kathrine and her friends Mette and Jeff (from England) introduced us to an interesting shopping experience in Aarhus called Bazar Vest. It is in the middle of the immigrant ghettos of Aarhus, a shopping center full of Indian, Turkish, Chinese and everything else foreign that you can imagine. If you need an Indian bridle dress, you can get it there. If you want some ethnic Indian music, you can get it there. If you need a big exotic pipe, you can get it there. If you need clothes or shoes mended, you can do it there. If you need to book a trip to the east, you can do it there. The place was full of butchers with whole animals (skinned of course) hanging on hooks, Turkish bakeries, supermarkets with foods like roasted chick peas, 100 different types of curry, different types of rice, funny brands of juices and snacks...anything you would need if you were accustomed to that culture. The fruit and vegetable market was probably the best, with selections of many exotic fruits and at really affordable prices. It was an amazing experience. I have to admit, though, I am very thankful to have been raised in the western world. I couldn't live with a living room full of plastic flowers, illuminated waterfall pictures, gold plated tea canisters, plastic plates, tacky chandeliers, etc., etc., etc.... The food was good, though. We had delicious chai tea and enjoyed fresh beef kabab with rice and Turkish bread. It was a very fun and culture-full experience!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home