Wednesday, March 02, 2005

snow, snOW, SNOW!!!

All day yesterday and almost all of today consisted of snow flakes falling from the sky! It is really too bad I couldn't import this snow to the mountains in Washington, because they didn't have much of a ski season and this snow is great powder for skiing! I wish I had some skies here to give it a try! But it is too cold to go outside anyway...it is now -7 degrees celsius! That is DAMN cold! When the snow stopped today, the sun came out and it is now a clear sky...which means cold, cold air! I don't look forward to going to school in the morning...and I will be taking a bus, because the bike paths are not sufficiently cleared and it is dangerous to fight with vehicles on the road when the side the shoulder is full of plowed snow and no room for a poor, slow cyclist.

My feet get so cold when I'm outside. I really don't have the right kind of shoes and I have to wear two pairs of socks each day. When I come home, I put my shoes on the heater so that they are warm and dry the next time I put them on. It really is a nice feeling. Maybe I should invest in some winter shoes...I bet that would bring the sun right out and melt the snow away.

I watched the Academy Awards on Monday. I could have watched it live, but then it gets too late at night to see the whole thing. By waiting to see it on Monday, it's free of commercial breaks and un-interesting award presentations. They show the good stuff only and in the end they quickly tell you who won the awards for best whatever, that no one cares about unless-you- know-the-person-personally-who-is-nominated-for-that-award, which is not/never the case for me! :)

Denmark has it's own Academy Awards, too. It is called the "Bodil" award...instead of "Oscar". They give primarily awards to Danish films from the past year. They have two categories for foreign films: 1. Award for non-American film and 2. award for American film. I guess America is in it's own foreign-ness.

I have been into this semester at the university for a month now, and it is in this week (1st of March to 7th of March) that we register for exams. We don't register for the class, because you can take any class you damn well want to take, but it doesn't mean you have to take the exam. So, that is what you do...you sign up for the exam, and then in another month, they will post on the department website what time and date the exams are...or when papers need to be turned in. Most exams are done orally here, which really, really sucks. It's about as pleasant as going to the gynocologist...at least that was the case for one of my most recent exams. It really depends on the teacher. If you don't sign up for exams in this week, then you are shit out of luck. You missed your chance and you are the only one to blame, because you weren't paying attention to the time you were supposed to register. At least you can do it online. When I went to Copenhagen University, there were secretaries set up with boxes in a room and you had to find the right secretary with the right box to give you the right piece of paper to sign up for the right exam. I think it is a very primitive system and they could learn a lot from the University of Washington and STAR man...if he even still exists. I like the idea of registering for classes, through the phone, the quarter (or semester) before so you know exactly what you are getting into and can think about switching if you want to. Here, you don't get the schedule (in many cases) until the week before classes start! Well, I guess for a university that is 30 years old, they are doing pretty well. Now if only they could get a student gym close to campus! That would rock!

I have some homework to do now. I have a class at the butt-crack of dawn tomorrow, which means I got to wake up real early!

Snowflake kisses from Annelise in Aalborg!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home