Saturday, October 16, 2004

My Birthday Celebration

So I am now another year older as of the 15th. I had a wonderful birthday with a traditional Danish birthday "tea party" in the afternoon where I made birthday rolls and hot chocolate with fresh whipped cream. I used my Danish flag plates and cups and decorated the table in my favorite colors! I had been planning the whole thing in my head for a while, and since it is impossible to do all the grocery shopping at once with a bike, I had to make several trips to the store in the past few days. I was getting a bit stressed, too, because it is so much money to spend when you feed a crowd, but it's worth it to celebrate yourself once a year!

My friend Gosia came over on Thursday evening and helped me make an Autumn cheesecake (it had apples on top with cinnamon) and an apple cake for dessert. We should've made a lagkage, which is the traditional Danish birthday cake with layers of a sponge-type-cake with cream and berries in the filling and Danish flags decorating the top, but I didn't have the necessary pans to make the cake. Maybe next year.

As you can see in the pictures, I had a very pastel purple theme! I went out looking for a table cloth on Thursday, and I couldn't find one that was affordable for me...they were all about 100 kr. I couldn't spend that kind of money, so I went to the second hand store and looked for some table clothes, but they didnt' have any...but they had this beautiful lavendar bed sheet for 18kr! I thought it would be perfect for a tablecloth, so I got it and it worked wonderfully! What's funny, too, is that I got an almost identical colored Damask tablecloth with sunflowers on it from my family in Rungsted Kyst (north of Copenhagen) in a package they sent for my birthday! Good thing I didn't spend too much in other places...but of course, you can never have too many tableclothes! I will just use my 2nd hand sheet on my bed now! :)

Friday morning, I awoke to my mobile ringing...it was my family back home who called to sing to me and wish me a happy day! Good thing I had to wake up anyway for my 8 o'clock class! After class, I rode my bike home and began to prepare for the evening. I made the rolls and hot chocolate for my guests at kl.15.30, I carved a pumpkin to set on the steps, and then I made three batches of pizza dough. Thank you so much to Gosia and Marieke who helped me get the pizza and salads going! It makes such a difference to have some help in the kitchen!

We were ten in all for dinner, and after we had stuffed ourselves with 4 pizzas and salad, we played a home-made version of pictionary, which was quite fun! Then we enjoyed dessert with coffee and tea, and before we knew it it was midnight and time to end the evening.

I had a really great birthday and I got a lot of really nice gifts from near and far! :)

Happy Birthday to my dad on the 16th!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home