Sunday, October 23, 2005


This afternoon, my neighbor heard sirens heading out behind where we live. He yelled at me through my window saying there was a house burning behind the hill. I looked outside and saw a huge cloud of black smoke blowing east. I went back in and put my jacket and shoes on and headed up the hill behind the house. It wasn't a house burning, but something beyond the Technical High School in the industrial area of Aalborg. The smoke was incredibly black, and I was pissed I didn't have my camera with me, because amid the black smoke, the sun was shining and there was a full rainbow around it all. The news said the fire was coming from the cement factory, Aalborg Portland. Ten thousand tons of non-PVC plastic was on fire in an outside holding area. Later in the evening, I drove out with Henrik and we found a great view of the fire burning at the factory. The smoke in the middle is from the fire and the smoke stacks to the left are the normal steam released from the factory. They decided to let the plastic finish burning, rather than creating possibly more harmful smoke by dousing it with water.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home