Sunday, October 16, 2005

A new prince is born....on my birthday!

This year, my birthday turned out to be a very special day. Since the announcement that Crown Princess Mary was pregnant and was expecting at the end of October, I hoped she would give birth a few weeks early...like on the 15th, my birthday, so that the flags would fly in Denmark from the castles to the buses for me...and of course the baby. What a selfish wish, eh?! A month ago, she was admitted to the hospital with contractions in her stomach, but it was over in a day, and she was sent home and all her official arrangements cancelled. Phew...still a chance. So, it had been pretty quiet from the Royal couple's neck of the woods. Articles said that often with such early contractions, it could lead to a later birth, but Mary's sisters said that the Donaldson girls have a history of giving birth early. The due date was the 27th of October.
Friday night, October 14th, I was watching a movie...Save the Last Dance, and right after, at 23.35, there was a news brief announcing that Crown Princess Mary was in the hospital and she was in labor! I couldn't believe it! What were my chances that this could happen?! I kept thinking that she had to hold out a half an hour more....oh, my goodness. I couldn't sleep that night! I thought for sure it would be a girl, because I was a girl born on the 15th. When I awoke (after a 5.30 wake up call from back home), Crown Prince Frederik had announced to the journalists swarming the hospital that after 10 hours of labor he was the father of a healthy son...a new prince, and number 2 in line to the throne. He was born at 01.57 early Saturday morning, October 15th...my birthday!
I couldn't believe it! The whole day was so surreal! I had told so many people about my funny wish about having the baby born on my birthday so the flags would fly for me, too! (I talked to Marieke today and she totally cracked up! I think she was pretty amazed, too! ) So, yesterday, the flags flew from the front corner of the buses, from many houses and businesses, from the tops of buildings...they shot off the 21 traditional canon blasts in honor of a future king, and they lit huge bonfires across the country as the Vikings did when they celebrated a special occasion. It was quite a day...
But in my little world, I celebrated quietly with Martin and his mom. Martin came over for breakfast and then we drove out to the Kattegat and walked close to the beach and enjoyed the beautiful weather. We came back to his mom's for some Danish æblekage (apple sauce cake) and coffee. We watched some news footage of the new little prince (no pictures of him yet). Martin is definately not interested in the topic, but I of course am fascinated. I want to experience it all! Anyway, I made dinner and then we watched a movie... It was a very relaxing and laid back b-day.
Here is Martin at my little birthday breakfast...a typical Danish breakfast of rundstykker (hard rolls), cheeses, butter, and jam, and of course coffee.
Here I am at the east coast of Denmark in Dokkedal. This fall has been incredible, and it was great to get out and enjoy a beautiful day on my birthday.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home