Saturday, September 10, 2005

Get on your bikes and ride!

Geesh...my crotch hurts and I'm proud of it! Today, I rode on the longest bike ride I have ever been on! It was over 60 kilometers, or about 46 miles!! Isn't that incredible?! The last 10 km were killer and then head wind ta' boot, but I made it and then enjoyed a nice, long bath afterwards!

The route I took is called the "Kattegattruten", or the Kattegat Route, which is shown on the map as Aalborg - Mou - Hals - Nørresundby (http://www.visitfjordenrundt.dk/index-lim.htm). I rode about 25 km to the east coast of Denmark and met up with the body of water called the Kattegat. Then, I took about a 4 minute ferry ride across the mouth of the fjord over to Hals. Hals (means 'throat' in Danish) is a very cute little town with a nice marina and several nice cafes and restaurants and some touristy type butiks and gift shops. I didn't spend much time there, although I made a mental note to come back one day for a cup of coffee or maybe a meal in one of the restaurants. I had packed my own lunch of a nectarine, a pear, and a cheese and rye bread sandwich! :)

The ride on the north side of the fjord was enjoyable as it was all new territory and there was lots to look at. Seeing 30 km sign to Aalborg was very intimidating, but I knew there was only one way home and that was to peddle all the way there! Fortunately, I had tail wind, and that made the ride back a bit easier. Several times I could see the other side of the fjord and knew that if I was on that side, I would be that much closer to home, but I had to go through Nørresundby and over the bridge (which opened right as I got there to let a sail boat through) and through downtown Aalborg.

Both sides of the fjord have similar terrain...just like everywhere else in Denmark. I saw lots of newly-plowed wheat fields, ready-to-pick corn fields, and several small Christmas tree farms. This part of Denmark is very scarcely populated, so the houses are mainly on farms or far apart from each other. Several times I rode through small communities with more houses and one grocery store and a gas station. From my house, I have to go up and down several hills, but then the trail is flat the rest of the way until you get close to Aalborg again.

I started at 11.10 this morning and was back at 16.20 this afternoon. I was lucky to have really nice weather all through my ride, and although I am quite exhausted now, it is a very nice feeling to have accomplished such a long trek!

1 Comments:

Blogger Maren said...

That's quite the ride! Sounds like fun though! Did you go by yourself?

I did one of those when I lived in Denmark... but I did it by accident because I got lost... it's more fun when you know where you're going!

P.S. Will you email me your address?

September 14, 2005 10:25 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home